clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Revolution Transfers 2016: Heaps says there's progress on Jones saga

New, 2 comments

Jermaine Jones could still end up in New England.

Vincent Carchietta-USA TODAY Sports

The New England Revolution have officially announced the acquisition of defensive midfielder Xavier Kouassi. The Designated Player will see out his contract with FC Sion before moving to MLS this summer.

So, what does this mean for Jermaine Jones? That’s still up in the air.

Jones’ initial 18-month contract with the Revs expired at the end of 2015. Since then the two parties have been in negotiations. While Jones hasn’t exactly been happy with some of the offers made so far, the talks continue, according to head coach Jay Heaps.

"There’s definitely discussions," Heaps told reporters on Monday. "Mike [Burns] and [Jones'] representatives and even Jermaine directly, there’s conversations for sure."

One thing that’s complicating negotiations is the six-game ban that looms over Jones’ head. The 34-year-old was issued the punishment for touching referee Mark Geiger during last year's playoffs. An appeal to have it rescinded was rejected by Commissioner Don Garber in December.

Regardless, the Revs still are interested in bringing back the franchise player.

"For me, I would say there’s been progress, but I don't know if the deal is done tomorrow," Heaps said. "There are other things in play, international opportunities for Jermaine. The conversation is on-going."

While those conversations unfold, Heaps will continue to focus on the guys in camp while looking to add pieces that he thinks will help him make another run at the MLS Cup. Kouassi could be one of those pieces.

"We’re trying to add to the team and moving forward with Jermaine or without Jermaine’s, that’s to be determined," Heaps said. "But right now, we want to strengthen our group and Xavier does that."