Sunday was the second straight game that Carles Gil missed and New England Revolution fans still have no idea when he could make his return.
The Bent Musket’s own Seth Macomber reported that Gil was hurt with a sports hernia and would be out for three-plus weeks. Since then, the club hasn’t been extremely talkative when it comes to Gil’s situation.
Gil was playing the best soccer of his entire career. He was and probably still is an MVP candidate and was the heart and soul of the Revolution attack.
Bruce Arena opened his press conference by being asked if Macomber’s report is true and here’s what he had to say.
Arena said, “He has a muscle tissue injury. However you want to define it. The timeline remains to be seen. We played a game, by the way, if anyone’s interested in the game we just played.”
It seems important to note that Arena didn’t set a timeline in regards to the injury. An injury involving the best player in the entire MLS. This doesn’t just have ramifications for the Revs, it affects the entire league.
Arena was also asked if Gil will require surgery and while the Head Coach and Sporting Director has told the media before he isn’t a doctor, Arena said to his knowledge he will not go under the knife.
He said, “Whoever is giving you your information, he has a muscle injury and he’s rehabilitating it. He’s not having surgery as far as I know.”
The Revolution head to Canada for the first time in 2021 as they face Toronto FC on Saturday and it seems more and more likely that their captain will not be joining them.