clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: Revolution 0 - NYCFC 2

Revs see their nine-game unbeaten streak snapped after shutout loss to NYCFC

MLS: New England Revolution at New York City FC Dennis Schneidler-USA TODAY Sports

The New England Revolution looked to extend their unbeaten run to ten games as they traveled to the Bronx to take on NYCFC at Yankee Stadium.

The Revs came into Saturday’s matchup on the heels of an emphatic 4-1 victory at home in their previous matchup against FC Cincinnati with the help of goals from Tajon Buchanan, Ema Boateng, and Adam Buksa.

NYCFC came into Saturday’s match well rested as their scheduled meeting with the New York Red Bulls on August 21st was postponed due to inclement weather from Hurricane Henri. NYCFC’s last game was on August 18th, as they suffered a 1-0 loss to the Philadelphia Union.

The injury-stricken Revs would be down another man as Buchanan was suspended for the match after missing the 2021 MLS All-Star Game as he was in Europe finalizing his move to Club Brugge.

Not that it mattered, but Carles Gil was also suspended for Saturday’s match as a result of missing the All-Star Game as he continues to recover from an injury.

Two changes were made to the Revolution starting XI as Teal Bunbury would replace Gustavo Bou, and Maciel would replace Scott Caldwell.

It was another historic day for veteran defender Andrew Farrell as he made his 262 appearances in Major League Soccer. A New England Revolution club record.

Buksa came close to finding the game’s opening goal in the 4th minute as he was able to react quickly and get on top of a perfect flick towards goal from Bunbury. Buksa pulled back and sent a shot on Sean Johnson, but he put too much on it as it sailed above the bar and out for an NYCFC goal kick.

Defender Andrew Callens looked to open New York’s scoring book in the 7th minute as his shot whistled towards the Revs net. Luckily for the Revs, USMNT keeper Matt Turner had the bottom left corner covered as he watched the ball sail left of the post and out for a Revolution goal kick.

A good offensive run came to the Revs in the 11th minute as Bunbury found the ball atop the 18-yard box. Bunbury would see a darting Boateng to his left and sent a through ball into some space for Boateng to find. Boateng would send a beautiful lob into the box where it found Polish international Buksa, who looked to head the ball into the back of the net. Unfortunately for Buksa, his header would stray right of the post and out for a goal kick.

Nervous moments came in the 17th minute as Santiago Rodríguez nearly chipped the ball over Matt Turner and into the net. Rodríguez’s chip was thankfully too much as it came crashing down on top of the net, giving the Revs a goal kick.

Arnór Traustason looked to find the back of the net in the 25th minute but had his header blocked out of play by an NYCFC defender.

Controversy started brewing in the 31st minute. As Valentín Castellanos and the crowd celebrated after he found the back of the net, the assistant referee raised their flag, signaling offsides. As boos rained down inside Yankee Stadium, head referee Kevin Scott went to the review table and surprisingly returned to pitch quickly. Scott would award Castellanos and NYCFC after Revs defender Henry Kessler appeared to kept Castellanos onside during the play.

Down 1-0 on the road, the Revolution needed to regroup if they wanted to escape New York with any points.

Andrew Farrell received a yellow card in first-half stoppage time after committing a foul on goalscorer Valentín Castellanos.

A frustrated Bruce Arena addressed issues the Revs faced in the first half during his brief interview with Brad Feldman and Charlie Davies. Arena touched upon the Revs inability to complete passes to each other in addition to not winning tackles in the middle of the field before tossing the headset and returning to the locker room.

Looking to change the tide of the match, Bruce made one halftime sub which saw club-leading scorer Bou come in for Boateng.

Castellanos would interject the Revs recovery in the 55th minutes as Maxi Moralez would find an unmarked Castellanos inside the 6-yard box. Castellanos would rocket the ball past Turner and into the top of the net, giving NYCFC a 2-0 lead over the Revs.

A double substation came in the 66th minute as Matt Polster and AJ DeLaGarza would come on for Traustason and DeJuan Jones. Another double substation came in the 75th minute as Wilfried Kaptoum and Edward Kizza came on for Bunbury and Christian Mafla.

Buksa looked to find the back of the net in the 76th minute as he sent a shot at the NYCFC goal. Sean Johnson would put an end to Buksa’s chance as he got his hands onto the ball. Bou looked to do the same in the 79th minute but failed as his shot skimmed left of the post.

Polster received a yellow card in the 86th minute after committing a foul on Andres Jasson. Jasson later committed a foul on Polster in stoppage time, which upset Polster, who was not afraid to get into the young defender’s face.

The Revolution’s impressive nine-game winning streak came to an end as Castellaos’ brace propelled NYCFC to a 2-0 shutout win at home.

The Revs need to take tonight’s loss lightly as they prepare to be short-handed in their next match against the Philadelphia Union as they will be without Turner, Buksa, and Buchanan, who will be on international duty.

The Revs return to action on Friday, September 3rd, as they travel to Chester, Pennsylvania to take on the Philadelphia Union at 7:30 PM EST.