clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: Revolution 3 - Red Bulls 2

Buksa’s late winner propels Revs to first regular season victory at Red Bull Arena.

SOCCER: JUL 31 MLS - New England Revolution at New York Red Bulls Photo by Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

The New England Revolution took a drive down I-95 as they traveled to Red Bull Arena to take on Eastern Conference rivals, the New York Red Bulls.

The Revs came into Saturday’s contest on a hot streak after picking up victories in their previous three outings. However, the Revolution roster looked somewhat depleted as international duty and injuries hindered Bruce Arena’s plans. Tajon Buchanan, Matt Turner, and Henry Kessler remained out due to international duty while injuries to Jon Bell and Luis Caicedo prevented their presence.

Three changes came to the Revolution lineup as a returning DeJuan Jones returned to the left back position and taking over for Cristian Mafla. A.J. DeLaGarza would replace Jon Bell as the left center back, and Tommy McNamara would replace Wilfried Kaptoum in the midfield.

The Red Bulls came into Saturday’s matchup after a shutout win over Nashville with the help of goals from Fábio and Kyle Duncan.

It was a big day for Revolution II as three of their players would be a part of the Revolution’s 18-man roster. Striker Justin Rennicks, midfielder Damian Rivera, and defender Colin Verfurth would join the Revs in Harrison, New Jersey.

With Kessler out on international duty and Bell out with a lower-body injury, it was a big test on the Revolution’s depth as they took on a dangerous Red Bulls side.

A frightening scene in the 5th minute as DeJuan Jones attempted to clear a bouncing ball inside the Revolution box. Jones would wind up and whiff on the ball as it continued to bounce in the Revs box. Thankfully for Jones, Brad Knighton came over and scooped the ball before New York could capitalize.

The depleted defense was felt almost instantly as Duncan found Wikelman Carmona outside the box. Carmona would turn and send a laser into the back of the bottom right corner of the net. Carmona caught the Revs defense sleeping and exploited the lack of coverage giving New York a 1-0 lead in the 8th minute. Carmona’s 8th-minute goal would be the Revs 8th goal allowed in the opening 15 minutes. Something the Revolution needs to work on in the future.

Adam Buksa looked to find Carles Gil inside the box in the 18th minute, but the Polish striker’s pass was a tad too far for Gil.

Buksa looked to find a stunner of a goal after juggling the ball inside the box in the 22nd minute. Buksa sent a shot towards the right side of the net, where it ricocheted off the goal post. Tommy McNamara would get on top of the deflection and looked to slot the ball home. Red Bulls keeper Carlos Coronel had a different idea as he deflected McNamara’s shot away from goal.

Andrew Farrell was booked in the 39th minute for dissent after he and McNamara aired their grievances with the match official. Arnór Traustason received a yellow card in first-half stoppage time.

Buksa would hit the woodwork again at the end of the first half as his header would bounce off the crossbar. That would be Buksa’s 7th shot off the woodwork this season.

Down 1-0 at halftime, the Revolution looked to bounce back in the second half if they wanted to leave Red Bull Arena with any points.

Gustavo Bou would help that cause in the 60th minute as he would send a laser to the top right corner of the goal. It was like watching the classic DVD logo bouncing perfectly in the corner of the TV screen as Bou’s ball perfectly bounced off the crossbar and goal post and into the back of the net.

Fábio would crush Revs fan’s spirits just three minutes later as he would recapture the lead for New York. After a beautiful flick towards goal from Caden Clark, Fábio would dart past DeLaGarza and got onto the end of the ball. Knighton would move towards the near post as Fábio snuck a shot past a trailing DeLaGarza and into the back of the net.

Bou brought spirits back to life in the 68th minute as Brandon Bye found La Pantera wide open inside the 6-yard box. Bou would head the ball past Coronel and into the back of the net. The assistant referee quickly overturned the goal as Bou was in an offsides position on Bye’s cross in.

A double substitution came in the 74th minute as Teal Bunbury and Wilfried Kaptoum would come on for McNamara and Traustason.

Bunbury looked to even the game up in the 82nd minute as he found himself yards out from goal. Bunbury’s shot would be deflected away by Coronel.

The Revs were awarded a phenomenal opportunity in the 83rd minute as the Revolution earned a free kick in the final third after a handball by Duncan. Gil would be the one to take the free kick as he sent the ball floating into a pile of black and white jerseys. Bye was able to get himself onto the ball as he sent a curling header to the right side of the net. A stunned Coronel stumbled to his left, but it wouldn’t be enough as the ball flew into the net.

Buksa would make up for his previous errors as he would net the go-ahead goal in the first minute of stoppage time. Gil sent the ball forward where Buksa stumbled on the ball for a second. Once under control, Buksa was able to turn and shoot inside the box, sending the ball to the bottom right corner of the net.

The Revs defense stood strong in the closing minutes as they held off the Red Bulls. As the final whistle sounded, Revs fans rejoiced as the Revolution secured their first regular-season win inside Red Bull Arena.

Saturday’s 3-2 win over the New York Red Bulls extends New England’s winning streak to four games. The Revs will look to make it five on Wednesday, August 4th, as they host Nashville S.C. at 7:00 PM EST.