clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Defensive blunder costs Revs two points

Revs fail to capture crucial three points against D.C. United

MLS: New England Revolution at D.C. United Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports

The New England Revolution returned to action on Friday night as they took on D.C. United in their second match of group stage play in the MLS is Back tournament.

Both sides were off to a hot start as both New England and D.C. were able to generate multiple offensive chances within the first five minutes.

D.C. United midfielder Julian Gressel received a yellow card in the 16th minute after aggressively stopping Carles Gil’s run.

Although New England were unable to score in the first half, the Revolution were able to generate some incredible shots. The first one came in the 25th minute as Kelyn Rowe sent an absolute rocket to goal which narrowly missed the hands of D.C. United keeper Bill Hamid and bounced off the crossbar. Later on in the half, Gustavo Bou sent a shot on goal from outside of the box which was stopped by Hamid before it could get over the goal line.

Before the halftime whistle could be blown, D.C. United midfielder Yamil Asad would be booked with a yellow card after becoming aggressive with Revs winger Cristian Penilla during his offensive run.

As the half ended, both sides were looking to turn the tide in the second half and secure a much needed three points as the group stage portion of the MLS is Back tournament is nearing an end.

The Revolution made one substitution prior to the start of the second half. Rookie Henry Kessler would come into the game and replace Michael Mancienne.

Polish designated player Adam Buksa would put the Revolution on the board in the 51st minute after capitalizing on a deflected ball off a D.C. United defender and heading the ball over a diving Hamid.

The Revolution’s second substitution came in the 61st minute as Diego Fagundez would come into the game and replace Carles Gil.

Former Revolution forward Taylor Twellman, who was on commentary, said it best. Ever since Buksa’s goal in the 51st minute, the Revolution were not as efficient. That was evident in the 72nd minute in the match. After being heavily pressed by Federico Higuain, Antonio Delamea sent a weak pass back to Matt Turner that was unable to reach the goalkeeper. A pacy Higuain was able to get on the ball and work his way around Matt Turner and easily send a ball towards an unguarded goal and found the back of the net and gave D.C. United the equalizer.

The Revs third substitution came in the 77th minute as Teal Bunbury would replace Scott Caldwell.

D.C. United defender Frederic Brillant would receive a yellow card in the 83rd minute.

The Revolution would use their final two substitutions in the stoppage time as Tajon Buchanan would replace Cristian Peniilla, and Justin Rennicks would replace Adam Buksa.

Unfortunately, the Revs were unable to find a late goal and ended the game with a 1-1 draw. In a crucial game which could have seen the Revs clinch a spot in the Round of 16, the Revs will take a point and hope for the best as they wrap up group stage action Tuesday morning against Toronto.

After tonight’s match, the Revs sit in second place of Group C with 4 points as Tuesday’s opponents Toronto F.C. sit in first place with 4 points, D.C. United sits in third place with a total of 2 points, and Montreal sits in last with 0 points.

The Revs will look to get back to winning ways and earn a spot in the Round of 16 Tuesday morning as they take on Toronto F.C. at 9 AM.