clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 2, Impact 4: Revs comeback too little, too late

The Revs tried to mount a comeback but couldn’t erase their four-goal deficit.

MLS: New England Revolution at Montreal Impact Eric Bolte-USA TODAY Sports

The Montreal Impact downed the New England Revolution 4-2 on Saturday afternoon to avenge their loss from earlier this season.

The Revs were dangerous in the early going, testing Montreal on several occasions. Claude Dielna had a left-footed shot saved in 13th minute. Juan Agudelo dribbled his way towards goal in the 16th minute but couldn’t beat Evan Bush. Cristian Penilla had a look in the 20th minute but his close-range shot didn’t produce results.

There was a bit of controversy just before the 30th minute when Raheem Edwards went down inside the box. The attacker claimed that Gabriel Somi fouled him but the referee let play continue. Replays showed that Edwards went down softly.

The Revs were forced to make a change in the 34th minute when Agudelo suffered an injury. Krisztian Nemeth came on to occupy the right wing and the substitute had a good soon after when he flicked Andrew Farrell’s cross towards goal. Ultimately, the shot went wide.

Montreal got on the board in first half stoppage time when the home team capitalized on a Farrell turnover. Ignacio Piatti picked up the ball and quickly found Anthony Jackson-Hamel. Matt Turner got a touch on the ensuing shot but it still slowly made it’s way into the goal.

Jackson-Hamel almost got a second right after the break. A clever pass by Piatti provided the striker with an opportunity that hit the woodwork.

Jackson-Hamel made amends in the 52nd minute when Piatti played a square ball in the box. The 24-year-old had no issue beating Turner to get his brace.

Piatti got his third assist of the day in the 65th minute, as he split the defense to find Edwards. The play began with a Revs turnover at midfield.

The scoring didn’t stop there. Piatti was the culprit as he took down a long ball to score his fifth of the year. The Revs responded by inserting Kelyn Rowe and Brandon Bye.

Wilfred Zahibo got one back in the 78th minute when he headed in Diego Fagundez’s corner. The goal gave the Revs hope, especially since Piatti was subbed off in the 75th minute.

Zahibo struck again in the 86th minute. Fagundez began the play by sending in a free kick. Montreal failed to clear their lines and the ball fell to Zahibo. The defensive midfielder wasn’t bothered by the fact that his back was to goal as he offered a shot that cut the deficit in half.

The comeback was too good to be true, as the game ended 4-2. The Revs will look to get back on track next week when they host Toronto FC.