clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 1, Atlanta United 1: Late penalty salvages a point for home side

Martinez and Bunbury exchanged goals on Wednesday night.

MLS: Atlanta United FC at New England Revolution Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

After back-to-back weeks where the New England Revolution had late penalty shouts denied, they final got their wish against Atlanta United. The game ultimately ended 1-1 to give the Revs an important home point.

The Revs found success in the early going by limiting Atlanta’s space. Things broke down in the 23rd minute when Darlington Nabge broke free of the Revolution’s midfield three. The ball soon found its way to a wide Julian Gressel, who played a central pass to Josef Martinez. Simple movement allowed Martinez to score his ninth of the season.

Soon after, the Revs had a couple of good chances to find an equalizer. The first came in the 27th minute when Teal Bunbury offered Cristian Penilla a look on goal but the Ecudorian was unable to beat Brad Guzan. Diego Fagundez teed up a right-footed shot in the 35th minute but it didn’t produce the desired result.

The Revs were forced to make a change just before halftime when Chris Tierney went down with a non-contact injury. Gabriel Somi assumed the left back position.

The game opened up more in the second half with both sides pushing forward. Penilla created a chance for himself in the 56th minute. Almiron countered a few minutes later with a play that displayed the attacker’s pace.

The visitors looked certain to score a goal when Ezequiel Barco played in Martinez but the forward’s shot did little to trouble Matt Turner.

Atlanta threatened again in the 53rd minute when Barco found space behind the back line. Almiron marched towards goal but he had his shot blocked. Atlanta produced a similar play moments later that again failed to cross the goal line.

Turner offered a big save in the 82nd minute when he stonewalled Barco. The ball ricocheted off the crossbar before being smothered.

The Revs brought the game to level terms in the 88th minute when Bunbury scored a penalty. The referee pointed spot due to a play involving Krisztian Nemeth and Kevin Kratz.

The Revs will now turn their focus to the New York Red Bulls, who visit this Saturday.