clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Revolution vs. Union: Preview, Projected Lineups and How to Watch

New, 4 comments

Revs soccer is back. Here’s what you need to know about First Kick 2018.

MLS: Houston Dynamo vs New England Revolution
Brad Friedel will make his coaching debut Saturday against the Union.
Casey Sapio-USA TODAY Sports

The last time the Revolution played in a meaningful soccer match, the club earned its first road win of 2017 in a 3-0 triumph over the Montreal Impact. That contest took place on Oct. 22, 2017.

On Saturday, the Revs will hit the road again—this time, to open the 2018 season against the Philadelphia Union. Can Brad Friedel’s squad set a tone early and leave Chester with a result?

Here’s everything you need to know about Saturday’s season opener:

MLS Preseason Power Ranking

New England: 21

Although the Revs filled holes at left back (Gabriel Somi) and defensive midfielder (Wilfried Zahibo), the club has not significantly improved on paper. Add in a murky future for face of the franchise Lee Nguyen, who demanded a trade in January, and the Revs suddenly look like a team that could find itself beneath the red line again. First-year coach Brad Friedel will face an early test to keep his team together.

Philadelphia: 20

Forever on the verge of a breakout campaign, the Union endured a quiet offseason, with forward David Accam serving as the only notable acquisition. Jim Curtain looks ready trust the development his young core in 2018. That leaves Philly in something of a limbo heading into First Kick 2018.

Injuries and Absences

Both the Revs and Union will enter 2018 with relatively clean bills of health. Only Union midfielder Ilsinho (questionable, hamstring) appears on the official injury report. Revolution midfielder Isaac Angking—who allegedly underwent surgery for an disclosed, non-soccer related medical emergency on February 19—is also expected to miss Saturday’s match. There is currently no timeline for Angking’s recovery.

Projected Lineups

New England: Cody Cropper; Andrew Farrell, Antonio Delamea, Claude Dielna, Gabriel Somi; Scott Caldwell, Wilfried Zahibo; Cristian Penilla, Kelyn Rowe, Krisztian Nemeth; Juan Agudelo

Philadelphia: Andre Blake; Ray Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Auston Trusty, Fabinho; Haris Medunjanin, Alejandro Bedoya; Fafa Picault, Anthony Fontana, David Accam; CJ Sapong

MLS: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union
The last time the Revs visited Chester, the Union ran away with a 3-0 win.
Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

Chances to Win

The oddsmakers at FiveThirtyEight have given the Union a 54 percent chance of earning an opening-weekend win against the Revs. A draw (23 percent) and a Revolution win (23 percent) serve as less-likely outcomes.

How to Watch

Date and Time: Saturday, March 3, 7:00 p.m. ET
Venue: Talen Energy Stadium, Chester, Pa.
TV: myTV38 (Boston), PHL 17 (Philadelphia)
Streaming: MLS Live
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub (Boston)