clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution vs. Fire: Preview, Projected Lineups and How to Watch

Everything you need to know about the week 22 matchup.

MLS: Chicago Fire at New England Revolution Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

On Saturday night, the Revolution will look to extends its two-match winning streak at Toyota Park. Standing in the way will be the Chicago Fire, who lapsed in July but currently occupy the second spot on the Eastern Conference table.

Here’s everything you need to know about the week 22 matchup:

Current Form

New England: L-L-L-W-W
Chicago: W-W-W-D-L-L

Chances to Win

Nemanja Nikolic and the Fire will enter Saturday’s match as the clear favorite. According to FiveThirtyEight, Chicago has a 53 percent chance of earning a win and a 24 percent chance of earning a draw. That means a Revolution win (23 percent chance) serves as a least-likely outcome.

Stat that Matters Most

9 wins

That’s how many times the Fire have defeated its opponent in 10 home matches this season; the club has a 9-0-1 record at Toyota Park. The Revolution, meanwhile, have yet to win on the road, compiling an 0-7-3 record.

Club Leaders

The Revolution have spread the wealth this season, with Lee Nguyen (eight goals), Juan Agudelo (eight) and Kei Kamara (seven) leading the way offensively. Nguyen has added nine assists to his campaign while consistently competing with Sacha Kljestan for the league lead in chances created. Kljestan has created 69; Nguyen has created 64.

For the Fire, Nikolic (16 goals) and David Accam (12 goals) find themselves atop the scoring sheet. Nickolic has taken 39 shots on goal, more than any other player in MLS.

MLS: New England Revolution at Chicago Fire
The last time the Revolution traveled to Toyota Park, the Fire ran away with a 3-0 win. Bastian Schweinsteiger (right) scored in the Revs’ loss.
Patrick Gorski-USA TODAY Sports

How to Watch

Kick-off time: 8:30 p.m. ET
Location: Toyota Park, Bridgeview, Ill.
TV Broadcast: CSN-NE (New England), CSN Chicago Plus (Chicago)
Streaming: MLS Live
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub (New England)

Injuries and Absentees

For the Revolution, Daigo Kobayashi will once again serve as a game-time decision while nursing a hamstring injury. The same will be true of Xavier Kouassi, who played six minutes against the Galaxy on July 22 but did not see the field last weekend against the Union. A quad injury has kept Kouassi out of the lineup since May 27.

The Fire have three players listed on its injury report, none of whom will play Saturday night. The list includes midfielder John Goossens (ankle), defender Brandon Vincent (quad) and goalkeeper Jorge Bava (elbow).

Projected Lineups

New England: Cody Cropper; Chris Tierney, Antonio Delamea, Benjamin Angoua, Andrew Farrell; Gershon Koffie, Diego Fagundez, Kelyn Rowe, Lee Nguyen; Kei Kamara, Teal Bunbury

Chicago: Matt Lampson; Patrick Doody, Joao Meira, Johan Kappelhof, Matt Polster; Dax McCarty, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Juninho; David Accam, Nemanja Nikolic, Michael de Leeuw