clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution vs. Union: Preview, Projected Lineups and How to Watch

Everything you need to know about the week 21 matchup.

MLS: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union
Revolution defender Andrew Farrell tries to slow Union forward Fafa Picault on July 2.
Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

The last time the Revolution and Union met, Philadelphia cruised to a 3-0 win at Talen Energy Stadium. But the Revs played that match without five regular starters—including Antonio Delamea and Diego Fagundez. Can the Revs get revenge with a replenished roster?

Here’s everything you need to know about the week 21 matchup:

Chances to Win

For the second week in a row, the Revolution represent the heavy favorite. FiveThirtyEight gives the club a 50 percent chance of beating the Union and a 25 percent chance of earning a draw. That leaves Philadelphia with a mere 25 percent chance of escaping Foxboro with a win.

Stat that Matters Most

10 losses

That’s how many defeats the Revolution have sustained in 19 matches against the Union all-time. In those matches, the Revs have conceded 34 goals—ten more than it has scored.

Club Leaders

With eight goals and seven assists on the season, Lee Nguyen has led the way for the Revs during a quietly-effective campaign. But lately, Teal Bunbury has served as the team’s stat-sheet stuffer. The Ontario native has scored three goals in his past 115 minutes of play, including two last weekend in a 25-minute substitute appearance.

For the Union, CJ Sapong (10 goals) and Haris Medunjanin (seven assists) have consistently driven the attack. Though Medunjanin often plays in the shadow of fellow central midfielder Alejandro Bedoya, he has shined in his first MLS campaign; only Nguyen and Sacha Kljestan have created more chances this season.

MLS: Philadelphia Union at New England Revolution
The last time the Union came to Foxboro, Richie Marquez (16) scored one of four Philadelphia goals in a rout of the Revolution.
Stew Milne-USA TODAY Sports

How to Watch

Kick-off time: 7:30 p.m. ET
Location: Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, Mass.
TV Broadcast: Comcast Sports Net (New England and Philadelphia)
Streaming: MLS Live
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub (New England)

Injuries and Absentees

After playing with a short bench for the better part of the summer, the Revs have nearly achieved full strength. Only Xavier Kouassi (quad) and Daigo Kobayashi (hamstring) remain on the injury report. Both players are listed as questionable.

On the flip side, the Union could miss as many as four players tonight. The team’s most notable absentee will be goalkeeper Andre Blake, who sustained a hand laceration in last week’s Gold Cup final. Blake has historically come up big against the Revs; his absence could weigh heavily on the Union defense. In addition to Blake, midfielder Maurice Edu (ankle, tibia) and forward Fabian Herbers (sports hernia) will not play. Midfielder Fafa Picault (hamstring) will head into the match as a game-time decision.

Projected Lineups

New England: Cody Cropper; Chris Tierney, Benjamin Angoua, Antonio Delamea, Andrew Farrell; Xavier Kouassi, Teal Bunbury, Diego Fagundez, Kelyn Rowe; Lee Nguyen, Juan Agudelo

Philadelphia: John McCarthy; Giliano Wijnaldum, Oguchi Onyewu, Jack Elliott, Raymon Gaddis; Haris Medunjanin, Alejandro Bedoya; Chris Pontius, Ilsinho, Marcus Epps; CJ Sapong