clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 1, Fire 2: Revs' home unbeaten run snapped at 11

Antonio Delamea's goal wasn't enough as the Revs fall 2-1 to the Fire.

Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

The New England Revolution saw their 11-game home unbeaten run come to an end on Saturday, as they suffered a 2-1 loss to the Chicago Fire.

The visitors got things going in the 18th minute with clever movement that clearly came from the training ground. As Luis Solignac moved towards the ball, Nemanja Nikolic ran into the vacated space. Matt Polster found the Serbian, who took two tries to beat Cody Cropper.

After a pair of missed chances by the Fire, the Revs nearly grabbed an equalizer in the 30th minute through Diego Fagundez. Kei Kamara was critical in the buildup, as he sent in the cross that narrowly missed the 22-year-old midfielder.

Both teams had a number of opportunities as the first half came to a close, though neither team would breakthrough. First, Fagundez hit a long-range shot that missed the target. Soon after, Nikolic was sent in on goal but Cropper was there to make the stop. Kelyn Rowe made a bid in the 37th minute that didn't trouble the goalkeeper.

In need of a goal, Revs head coach Jay Heaps made a halftime switch, replacing Scott Caldwell with Juan Agudelo.

Despite the Revs having a couple of good looks after the break, it was Fire who would wrinkle the net. Nikolic's lofted pass found Michael de Leeuw, who tipped it into the path of Solignic. The striker had no problem finishing from close range in the 61st minute

The Revs got one back in the 71st minute when Antonio Delamea cleaned up a loose ball in the box. Lee Nguyen played the initial cross, which was kept alive by Juan Agudelo. Delamea had the final touch with a header that brought the score to 2-1.

The Revs almost got a second goal in the 82nd minute when Teal Bunbury crashed the net. The substitute, who came on for Kamara, was only on the field for two minutes when Agudelo redirected a Nguyen pass. Bunbury got on the end of it, but his shot hit the post.

The Revs took a barrage of shots during the game's final minutes but the game would end 2-1. The club will now travel to Toronto FC for a Friday night affair. Kickoff is set for 8 PM.