clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 1, FC Dallas 2: Early goal not enough for the visitors

Maxi Urruti scored two to negate Lee Nguyen’s penalty.

MLS: New England Revolution at FC Dallas Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

The New England Revolution are still winless in 2017, as Maxi Urruti’s double negated the visitor’s early tally.

The Revolution used the high press early, creating a couple of dangerous chances that resulted in corner kicks. Lee Nguyen’s service from the corner arc in the 10th minute led to a penalty when Cristian Colman pulled down Antonio Delemea. After a quick conversation with Kei Kamara, Nguyen stepped up to give the Revolution a 1-0 lead.

The Revs were on the attack again three minutes later, as Kamara fought his way past several defenders. The striker found himself in front of goal, but his hard shot couldn’t deceive goalkeeper Chris Seitz. The rebound fell to Nguyen, who toppled over without sympathy from the referee.

Dallas went wide in their search for an equalizer, sending in several alarming crosses throughout the first half. The Revs defense stood tall, however, as Cody Crooper, Andrew Farrell, and others cleared away each threat.

Dallas made a substitution at halftime, replacing Colman with Michael Barrios. Despite this, the first talking point of the second half came from starter Maynor Figueroa, whose late slide tackle left commentator Paul Mariner speechless. The defender only received a yellow for the infraction.

Figueroa helped create the equalizing goal when hit a cross-field pass. Barrios took the ball down but couldn’t beat Cropper. The loose ball fell to Maxi Urruti, who made no mistake of the opportunity.

It only took Urruti six minutes to find the eventual game-winner, as the Argentine fended off Benjamin Angoua to win a long-range pass. Urruti then set his sights on goal, hitting an authoritative shot from close range.

The Revs inserted their best attacking options as they looked to savage at least a point. First came Femi Hollinger-Janzen with Teal Bunbury being introduced soon after. These were the Revolution’s last two moves as Kelyn Rowe replaced Juan Agudelo before Dallas’ second tally.

Unfortunately for the Revs, the changes didn’t produce the desired results. The game ultimately ended 2-1. The Revolution will now return home in search of their first point of the season as they host Minnesota United next weekend.