clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Revolution vs. NYCFC: Preview, Projected Lineups and How to Watch

Here’s what you need to know about match 33.

MLS: New England Revolution at New York City FC Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports

For the second year in a row, the Revolution won’t play past October. That’s not the case for NYCFC, who currently occupy the second spot on the Eastern Conference table. The Revs want to give the Gillette Stadium crowd one last win. And NYCFC wants to distance itself from third-place Atlanta United.

Here’s what to expect from the match:

Current Form

New England: L-L-W-L-D
NYCFC: L-D-D-W-D

Chances to Win

Sunday’s match serves as something of a toss up, according to the experts at FiveThirtyEight. The Revs have a 37 percent chance of winning, compared to NYCFC’s 38 percent chance. The two teams have a 25 percent chance of playing to a draw.

Stat that Matters Most

6-6-4

That’s NYCFC’s record away from Yankee Stadium. Only one other team in MLS—Toronto FC—has a .500 record or better.

Club Leaders

Lee Nguyen, one of two MVP candidates nominated by the Revolution, has brought consistency to an otherwise inconsistent attack this season. His 11 goals rank second on the team behind Kei Kamara; his 15 assists rank third in MLS. Antonio Delamea, the Revs’ second MVP candidate, has also brought consistency to his unit. The Slovenian center back has logged 68 interceptions, seventh most in MLS.

David Villa has unsurprisingly lead the way for NYCFC this season, as the Spanish international has reached 20 goals for the second time in his MLS career. Only Chicago’s Nemanja Nikolic has scored more (21). And though Villa leads NYCFC with nine assists, Argentine midfielder Maxi Moralez leads the team with 72 chances created.

MLS: New England Revolution at New York City FC
On May 31, Xavier Kouassi scored a last-gasp equalizer to earn a 2-2 draw with NYCFC.
Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports

How to Watch

Kick-off time: 5:00 p.m. ET
Location: Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, Mass.
TV Broadcast: NBCSB (New England); YES (New York City)
Streaming: MLS Live
Radio: 98.5 The Sports Hub (New England), WFAN online (New York City)

Injury Report

The Revolution injury report has finally thinned out, with Kelyn Rowe (questionable, knee sprain) serving as the only mention. NYCFC will play without midfielder Miguel Camargo (hip) and defender Maxime Chanot (hernia surgery).

Projected Lineups

New England: Cody Cropper; Andrew Farrell, Claude Dielna, Antonio Delamea, Benjamin Angoua; Lee Nguyen, Scott Caldwell, Xavier Kouassi, Diego Fagundez; Krisztian Nemeth, Kei Kamara

New York City: Sean Johnson; Andraz Struna, Frederic Brillant, Alexander Callens, Ben Sweat; Yangel Herrera, Alexander Ring, Thomas McNamara; Jack Harrison, David Villa, Maxi Moralez