clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 1-TFC 4: Giovinco puts on a show in Toronto

Giovinco, TFC give the Revs their first loss in Toronto since 2010.

Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports

The New England Revolution lost their first game at BMO Field since 2010, as they were downed 4-1 on Saturday night. Sebastian Giovinco added to his mixtape by scoring two world-class goals and a PK, while Jozy Altidore grabbed the night's final tally. The Revolution's lone strike came courtesy of Teal Bunbury.

After a composed start to the game, the Revs conceded in the 20th minute when a failure to clear the ball afforded an opportunity to Giovinco. The reigning MVP hit a one-time shot that curled around Kei Kamara before wrinkling the side netting.

Giovinco made it two in the 28th minute, this time hitting a stunner from the left side. The goal was not without controversy as Kelyn Rowe appeared to have been fouled by Mark Bloom in the buildup. The referee's whistle didn't blow, allowing the home side to double their lead.

The score could've been worse if not for the heroics of Bobby Shuttleworth in the 36th minute. The Buffalo, NY native came up big when he denied an on-rushing Tosaint Ricketts.

The Revs had their first good look on goal just four minutes after the break. Daigo Kobayashi was the instigator, playing a long ball that skipped by Rowe before finding Kamara. The lanky striker marched towards the net but couldn't finish.

TFC regained momentum soon after, threatening Shuttleworth twice in the 52nd minute. The netminder stood tall, first denying Ricketts before smothering the second chance.

Two minutes later, the Revs got a bit of bad news when Gershon Koffie received a yellow card for putting his hand in the face of Marky Delgado. Koffie, who was making his first start since returning from injury, will now miss next Saturday's game against the Philadelphia Union.

More bad news arrived in the 63rd minute when Kamara's goal was ruled offside. Replays showed that it was a tight call to make.

Giovinco resumed his battle with Shuttleworth in the 77th minute when he stepped up to take a PK. Moments earlier, the referee ruled that the returning Darrius Barnes had fouled Jonathan Osorio in the box. The Atomic Ant made no mistake from the spot, as he beat Shuttleworth to increase his team's lead to 3-0.

The Revs didn't quit, however, as Chris Tierney put a header on frame in the 82nd minute. Alex Bono was there to make the stop.

The never-say-die attitude paid off in the 89th minute when Rowe hit a long cross to Bunbury. The substitute used his right peg to grab his second goal of the season.

Moments later, the home side regained their three-goal lead when Altidore pushed past the Revolution defense and put the ball into the back of the net.

The Revs return to action on Tuesday night when they host the Chicago Fire in the Semifinals of the US Open Cup.