clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 2, D.C. United 0: Revs shut out for the first time since April

The Revolution's winning streak ends at two.

Amber Searls-USA TODAY Sports

The New England Revolution were shut out for the first time since April 23rd when they lost 2-0 to D.C. United on Saturday night. First half goals from Lamar Neagle and Sean Franklin helped the home side collect three points.

D.C. United had the first good look of the match when Fabian Espindola challenged Andrew Farrell on the flank in the 4th minute. The Argentine found enough space to send in a cross but Alvaro Saborio couldn’t put it on frame.

Espindola continued to torment the Revolution as he initiated a counterattack in the 10th minute. After winning the ball in his defensive third, Espindola found Luciano Acosta, who put Saborio in on goal. London Woodberry caught up with the 34-year-old attacker, helping to neutralize the threat.

D.C. would breakthrough in the 20th minute when Acosta offered in a picturesque cross that landed in the path of a wide-open Neagle. Neagle only needed one touch to beat Brad Knighton and give his team the lead.

Seven minutes later, D.C. struck again. This time, Sean Franklin was the culprit, as he finished a cross sent in from Neagle. Just like that, the home side was up 2-0.

The Revs almost pulled one back in the 35th minute when Teal Bunbury sent in a seeking ball from the right side. Kei Kamara was in front of the goal but Kofi Opare made a last-ditch tackle to prevent the forward from scoring his first goal in a Revolution jersey.

The Revs threatened D.C. United's goal five minutes after the break with several decent opportunities. Their best came after a ricochet put Lee Nguyen behind the defense. Unfortunately for the midfielder, he didn't have much of an angle, which allowed Bill Hamid to smother the ball.

On the opposite side of the field, Knighton made a huge stop in the 58th minute. The moments preceding the play saw Neagle play a quick one-two with Saborio. Neagle then hit a low shot that was pushed away by an outstretched Knighton.

D.C. United continued to stay compact through the second half to successfully frustrate the Revolution attack. Inserting Juan Agudelo and Diego Fagundez did little to change the flow of the game as passes and shots failed to reach their destination.

During the final moments of the game, Knighton was once again called into action. This time, the netminder denied Alhaji Kamara to ensure that the game would end 2-0.

The Revs will now return to the practice pitch to prepare for their US Open Cup game against the New York Cosmos on Wednesday. The Revs play their next league match on Saturday when they travel to face the Montreal Impact.