clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Revolution 0, Union 3: Revs lose despite Shuttleworth's heroics

New, comments

A disaster first half dooms the Revolution in Philadelphia.

Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports

A disastrous first half doomed the New England Revolution, who lost 3-0 to the Philadelphia Union on Sunday afternoon.

The Union were active in the opening stanza, frequently pressuring the Revolution’s back four. Their persistence paid off in the 18th minute when Fabinho sent in a cross that evaded Andrew Farrell before finding C.J. Sapong. The forward’s shot deflected off of Jose Goncalves and ended up in the back of the net.

The home side doubled their lead in the 33rd minute when Sapong grabbed his second of the day. Warren Creavalle played helper, offering a cross after beating Kelyn Rowe. Sapong made good on the opportunity, putting it between the legs of Goncalves and past Shuttleworth.

In the 36th minute, the Revs had a chance to cut the deficit in half when Nguyen was fouled 25 yards from goal. The midfielder took the ensuing free kick, hitting both posts before Andre Blake neutralized the threat.

Seconds later, the odds of a comeback diminished when Je-Vaughn Watson was shown a red card for a two-footed tackle. The right back hit the showers early, reducing the Revs to 10 men.

The Revolution got a psychological boost just before halftime when Bobby Shuttleworth came up with a big-time save on Ilsinho’s penalty kick. The Brazilian earned the PK after going down just inside the box.

The Union continued to attack in the second half and nearly grabbed a third in the 52th minute. Chris Pontius was the instigator, but his counterattack was stopped by Shuttleworth. Pontius had another look at goal in the 64th minute, but this time, his shot went wide.

The Union would return to the penalty spot in the 78th minute after Goncalves was deemed to have taken down Sapong. Sebastien Le Toux was tasked with the kick and Shuttleworth was there to once again make the stop.

The Revs had a few decent chances during the game's dying moments, including one by Juan Agudelo. A series of quick, short passes led to an Agudelo shot, but Blake was there to deny the forward.

The Union capped their impressive day by grabbing a stoppage time tally through Le Toux. The Frenchman simply had to redirect a Leo Fernandes cross to seal the 3-0 win.

The Revs will continue their search for three points next weekend when they travel to Yankee Stadium to face New York City FC on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m. ET.