clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Impact 3, Revolution 0: 10-Man Montreal Rout Revolution on the Road

Two deflected goals put the Impact in front and they put the game away with a wonderful counter after a second half red card.

Jean-Yves Ahern-USA TODAY Sports

All things considered, this was a pretty good week for the New England Revolution. But it ended on a sour note at Stade Saputo against the Montreal Impact.

Johan Venegas scored off a deflection five mintues in and Didier Drogba benefited from a wayward Kelyn Rowe clearance off a free kick as the Impact were able to build on their early goal with a comprehensive 3-0 win against the Revs.

New England playing in their third game in seven days, previously beating Toronto FC last Sunday and the New York Red Bulls midweek, had a few lineup changes inserting Charlie Davies back up top, Teal Bunbury out wide and Steve Neumann in the midfield. There was some good offensive moments but little finishing quality from the Revs as the Impact were able to create numerous chances and eventually put the game out of reach.

Venegas tried an interesting chip shot in the fifth minute and with the help of a slight deflection he was able to catch Revs keeper Bobby Shuttleworth off his line. The Revs best chance to equalize in the first half was a pair of headers following a corner kick, where Davies headed one towards goal only to have the shot cleared by Impact defender Laurent Ciman. Bunbury's follow up effort didn't have much on it and Montreal keeper Evan Bush was able to guide it safely from near the crossbar.

In the second half, Didier Drogba drew a soft foul in the Revs half as he battled with New England left back Chris Tierney. The ensuing free kick from Drogba towards the middle of the box was headed by Revs midfielder Kelyn Rowe into his own net past a wrong-footed Shuttleworth. Drogba was credited with the goal by the official scorer.

Jay Heaps then opted to make two subs, bringing off Neumann and Bunbury for regulars Diego Fagundez and Scott Caldwell as he searched for an a goal to climb back into the match. Montreal would give the Revs a lifeline when the Impact's Marco Donadel was sent off with a straight red card in the 65th minute for a challenge on Revs defender Andrew Farrell.

Donadel was cautioned minutes before for persistent infringement by referee Ricardo Salazar and his studs up challenge was worthy of the straight red card rather than the second yellow.

Regardless, the final thirty minutes were wide open, helped by the Revs final sub as Jay Heaps went three at the back by taking off defender Jeremy Hall and adding striker Juan Agudelo. This meant the Impact, even with ten men, would have space on the counter and with players like Drogba and Ignacio Piatti, that is dangerous.

And the Impact would capitalize, minutes after Piatti chipped a ball off the post, substitute Dilly Duka would seal the points with the Impact's third goal late in the second half.

The loss ended the Revolution's 6-game winning streak and 8-game unbeaten streak and put a damper on what has been a stellar week. The Revolution's stay atop the Eastern Conference standings lasts only two days as the Columbus Crew now hold the top spot with their win over DC United earlier today. The Impact, who have several games in hand due to their CCL schedule earlier in the year, remained in 6th place staying two points clear of New York City FC.

The Revolution will host the Impact later in the season on October 17th for their final match at Gillette Stadium in the regular season. The Revs next game will be next Saturday, Sept. 26th at home vs. the Philadelphia Union.