clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 1, Union 0: Diego's Strike Leads the Way

The Revs earned their second victory of the season at PPL Park.

Derik Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports

The New England Revolution secured three points when they defeated the Philadelphia Union, 1-0, at PPL Park on Saturday evening.

Coming off their second bye week during the month of August, the Revs came out in a high pressure system that nearly reaped immediate dividends. In the 7th minute, Charlie Davies set up Diego Fagundez, only for the Uruguayan to sky his shot high over Andre Blake's goal.

From that point on, New England enjoyed the majority of possession and patiently probed through Lee Nguyen's advances, but the best chances fell to the Union.

Their first strong chance came in the 9th minute when Tranquillo Barnetta dragged wide an off-balance strike. Despite the miss, Barnetta again found himself on the end of an advance in the 22nd minute when he forced Bobby Shuttleworth to parry a venomous strike.

Despite patient searching from Jay Heaps' midfield, it was the Union who again introduced a promising opportunity. This time, Sebastien Le Toux drifted left of the penalty spot in the 38th minute and tested Shuttleworth with aplomb. Nonetheless, the 28-year-old ‘keeper answered and the Revs and Union went into halftime in the midst of a scoreless deadlock.

However, upon returning for the second half, the Revolution took control of the narrative in convincing fashion. After receiving a beautiful flick from Davies, Fagundez drove at the heart of the Union's defense. Through a quick-fire strike that left Blake motionless in goal, the Revs were put up 1-0 in the 51st minute.

With a confident lead away from home, the Revs contently absorbed pressure from the Union, all while searching for the right moment to extend their lead.

They nearly did just that in the 79th minute through Nguyen if it weren't for the Union's Jamaican goalkeeper. After receiving the ball on top of the 18-yard-box, Nguyen bent a strike towards the far post, only for Blake to push the ball narrowly wide with his fingertips.

As the final moments neared, the Revs desire for three points was aided when referee Chris Penso gave Cristian Maidana a straight red card in the final minute of stoppage time. Seconds after that decision, Penso whistled for full time and the Revs extended their unbeaten streak to five games in the process.

New England will next play on September 5 when they welcome Orlando City S.C. to Gillette Stadium in a crucial Eastern Conference clash.