clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 2 - Houston 0: Goncalves, Nguyen Lead the Way

Two lightning delays later, the Revs beat the Dynamo by a score of 2-0.

David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

In a game that was broken up by a combined two hours and 50 minutes of lightning delays, the New England Revolution and Houston Dynamo intently battled to a 2-0 win for the home side.

The match's early stages saw little progress made for either side, but matters sparked to life after referee Jose Carlos Rivero made the decision to delay the proceedings.

Lee Nguyen, who had previously scored three goals in as many games, forced Tyler Deric into a strong save in the 20th minute. After streaking through to follow up Diego Fagundez's deflected shot, Nguyen could not pick out a corner and best the onrushing Deric.

The Revs continued to pile the pressure on and nearly broke the scoreless deadlock in the 34th minute through Fagundez. Jose Goncalves ventured upfield and drilled an entry pass into the feet of Charlie Davies, who cushioned a layoff for the Uruguayan. Despite a smashed volley, Deric stood tall once again to deny the home side.

Neither the Dynamo or Revs could muster up further attacking chances as the half wore on, though, and the sides were forced to enter halftime tied, 0-0.

On the back end of the match's second lightning delay, Jermaine Jones exited for Daigo Kobayashi, and things sprung to life in the 49th minute via Kelyn Rowe. The midfielder drove at the heart of Houston's defense, unleashed a dipping strike towards Deric, and was narrowly denied by the keeper's outstretched fingers and the crossbar.

With the majority of possession, another strong chance came New England's way in the 64th minute. After a nifty combination between Fagundez and Chris Tierney, the latter found Nguyen atop the 18-yard-box, only for Deric to yet again deny a Revs attacker.

After piling on the pressure, the Revs were finally rewarded in the 69th minute through Goncalves. Nguyen floated in a short corner towards the six-yard-box, but Houston halfheartedly cleared the service. Their mistake resulted in great fortune for Goncalves, as he smashed home a left-footed volley out of mid air past an outstretched Deric.

With a 1-0 lead in hand, the Revs sat deep and absorbed Houston's continual probes for an equalizer, but it was the home side that would find the next goal. Nguyen sprung forward on the counter attack, eluded several sliding defenders, and squared across goal for Juan Agudelo. The striker made no mistake, slotting home inside the near post and extending the Revs' lead to 2-0 in the 88th minute.

That tally proved to be the game's last, and the Revs left Gillette Stadium with all three points in hand. New England next plays at the Philadelphia Union on August 29th.