clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 1-4 New York Red Bulls: Sluggish Start Dooms New England On The Road

The Revolution conceded three goals in the first 12 minutes—and lost their captain to a late red card—en route to a 4-1 thumping on the road.

Noah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports

Even with Andrew Farrell back into the fold, the Revolution continued to bleed goals on Saturday night. Strong finishing from Bradley Wright-Phillips and Lloyd Sam—and a sloppy Jose Goncalves deflection—helped the Red Bulls to a 4-1 victory over the reeling Revolution at Red Bull Arena.

In the 4th minute of Saturday's contest, Wright-Phillips took advantage of well-weighted cross from Sam, sneaking behind Farrell to nod the pass home. Five minutes later, Sam scored a goal of his own. After causing fits for Chris Tierney down the left flank for the first nine minutes of play, Sam arrived on the end of a brilliant passage of play. The Englishman out-muscled Scott Caldwell and slotted his shot home.

Already riding a 2-0 lead, the Red Bulls continued to carve up the Revolution defense; Jay Heaps' squad had no answer for New York's high-flying attack. In the 12th minute, Wright-Phillips struck again, receiving a flawless one-touch through ball from Dax McCarty. The striker outpaced Farrell and beat Bobby Shuttleworth with a clean finish.

In the latter stages of the first half, the Revolution began to build attacking momentum, ultimately cutting into New York's lead in the 37th minute. At the end of a deep run into the 18, Teal Bunbury poked a pass to Lee Nguyen, who sent a cross toward the top of the six-yard box. His pass found Andy Dorman, who used the outside of his foot to beat a helpless Luis Robles. Initially, the Assistant Referee raised his flag, seeking to disallow Dorman's finish. But following immediate dissent from Nguyen and his teammates—and a conversation with the AR—the center official overturned the decision.

Looking to carry this momentum beyond the break, the Revolution started the second half by creating a handful of half-chances. Unfortunately, in the 56th minute, the Red Bulls silenced the run and sealed the match with an Anthony Wallace goal. Wallace, having received a lay-off from McCarty, ripped a one-time shot from distance. Jose Goncalves tentatively stuck out his right leg and partially deflected the shot, redirecting Wallace's strike into the back of the net.

For the remainder of the match, the Red Bulls threatened to add a fifth goal, continually outclassing the Revolution back line. Danger ultimately struck in the 88th minute when Jose Goncalves bumped Sal Zizzo in the box. Already carrying a yellow card, Goncavles received a second caution—and left the match with just two minutes left in regulation.

Zizzo, however, failed to convert form the spot. Shuttleworth extended to his right and denied the Red Bulls' winger, who followed the shot and tried to beat Shuttleworth a second time. The Revolution keeper proved up to the task again, making a second consecutive stop on Zizzo.

In the end, the Revolution left Red Bull Arena battered a bruised, conceding four goals in an embarrassing effort on the road. The club will take on David Villa and NYCFC next weekend at Gillette Stadium.