clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Timbers 2, Revolution 0 - Late Adi Brace Cuts Down New England Late

The Revolution were only able to weather the storm of Portland shots for so long, conceding twice in quick succession late in the second half.

Steve Dykes-USA TODAY Sports

For 85 minutes it appeared the Revolution would get their first point ever in Portland, Oregon.

Sadly, soccer games are 90 minutes long and Fanendo Adi had other ideas, as he netted twice in the closing minutes as the Portland Timbers defeated the New England Revolution 2-0 at Providence Park.

The game had a strange intensity to it, as Teal Bunbury and Jorge Villafana were both booked just seven minutes into the game after getting tangled up. Bunbury appeared to commit the initial foul and Villafana took exception and referee Jorge Carlos Rivero cautioned both players for their roles in the dust up.

Most of the first half was dominated by Portland, though for their edge in possession and shots, didn't challenge Revs keeper Bobby Shuttleworth in the first half. Instead, the Timbers were content to shoot from just outside the box, and while they were dangerous shots, most were off target. Aside from a 35th minute shot from Darlington Nagbe which Shuttleworth had to parry for a corner, Portland finished with only one shot on target and six total in the first half.

The Revolution mustered little offense in this game overall, though Timbers keeper Adam Kwarasey did not have his best game. He nearly spilled a Kelyn Rowe shot in the first half and was forced to retake two goal kicks for moving restarts. Aside from a second half Lee Nguyen left-footed shot and a good passing sequence in the first half that resulted in a corner, the paltry three shots out of four on target sum up the Revs efforts on the attack.

Portland meanwhile kept up the pressure, and the Revolution who started the first half with sloppy giveaways and unable to maintain possession did the same to start the second. The Timbers eventually started finding shots closer to Bobby Shuttleworth's goal which forced desperate and stretched defending from Andrew Farrell and Jose Goncalves.

The hero of the match would enter in the 67th minute as an injury sub for Dairon Asprilla who rolled his ankle trying to block a Kevin Alston shot. Asprilla also needed treatment in the first half when he inadvertently blocked a strong Chris Tierney cross with his head. After spending most of the second half pinning the Revs in their own half, Nagbe was fouled from behind from Nguyen to draw a dangerous free kick.

Which the Timbers would capitalize on as Adi would be unmarked in the center of the box to nod home the opener into the side netting as a frozen Shuttleworth could only look on. Three minutes later it was Adi on the counter finishing from close range with assists from Diego Chara and Alvas Powell to seal the points.

The loss extends the Revolution's winless streak to six games, going 0-2-4 in those games and the team has not recorded a shutout since April 25th against Real Salt Lake. The Revs still sit in second place in the Eastern Conference though Toronto FC is only two points behind with three games in hand.

It will be back to the drawing board for Jay Heaps and the Revolution attack who will have Juan Agudelo back after he completes his international duty with the United States later this week.

The Revolution return home next week as they face the Chicago Fire on June 13th at Gillette Stadium.