clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 2-2 Galaxy: New England with a Wet and Windy Draw in Foxboro

The Revs remain unbeaten at home, but a 2-2 draw to the defending champs leaves them winless in their last five.

Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports

Swirling winds and torrential downpour made for a rough evening for both teams at Gillette Stadium as the New England Revolution and LA Galaxy played to a 2-2 draw on Sunday night. Sloppy passing was clearly influenced by the conditions as both Jose Villarreal of the Galaxy and Jermaine Jones of the Revolution were forced off through injury.

Despite contending with the absence of Lee Nguyen and Chris Tierney through suspension, the Revs took the lead early through Teal Bunbury. The Galaxy responded in a big way, however, with goals from Ignacio Maganto and Gyasi Zardes in the 18th and 27th minutes. New England rounded out the first half and the scoring in the 37th minute with a fantastic curling free-kick from Diego Fagundez.

The Revs almost took the lead in the first minute. Scott Caldwell played Charlie Davies in behind the defense, but the in-form striker pushed his shot wide.

Just four minutes later, the Revs were on the board. Juan Agudelo volleyed a short pass to Caldwell down the left, who played a strong low ball across the face of goal that was finished by Bunbury at the far post.

Los Angeles started to work their way back into the game, though, and in the 18th minute their efforts were rewarded. Maganto collected a clearance near the top of the box and rotated his hips, driving a knuckled volley inside Bobby Shuttleworth's left post. It appeared that Shuttleworth did not get a great look at the shot, because he reacted very late and stayed rooted to his spot on the line.

In the 27th minute, the Galaxy took the lead. Maganto drilled a long pass to Jose Villarreal at the top of the box, and the USA youth international controlled it unchallenged before cheekily knocking a backheel through Jose Goncalves' legs to Zardes, who coolly finished beyond Shuttleworth.

Much of the action continued to run in the Galaxy's favor, but the Revs stole an equalizer in the 37th. Teal Bunbury won a free kick just outside the D, and Diego Fagundez displayed his dead ball skills with an excellent curling shot that beat Penedo to his right.

The second half became badly bogged down by the conditions, but both teams managed at least one very good chance. The Revs were first, in the 63rd minute. Juan Agudelo slipped a sneaky little ball into Bunbury cutting in from the left, but the Canadian-born winger's attempt to curl for the far post was saved by Penedo.

The Galaxy nearly went ahead in the 68th minute when Zardes played Mika Vayrynen in the left channel in the box. Vayrynen had London Woodberry beat and took his shot, but Shuttleworth was out to cut the angle and smother it.

New England lost Jermaine Jones in the first half to a groin injury, caused by an off-the-ball non-contact incident. No diagnosis is yet available, but non-contact injuries are rarely a good thing as injuries go. The Galaxy had Jose Villarreal ask to be subbed off, also in the first half, right after he set up Gyasi Zardes for his goal. Villarreal had earlier hurt his shoulder after a rough challenge from Jones and Woodberry.

This result means the Revs are now winless in their last five, though they've only lost once in that stretch. It is also the fifth consecutive match that the Revs have taken a lead and then coughed it up, which is something that head coach Jay Heaps cannot be pleased with.

The Revs' next match is Saturday night in Portland against the Timbers.