clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution 1-2 Red Bulls: New England Embarrassed by 10-Man New York

New England had a phenomenal chance to earn their first win at Red Bull Arena when they entered the half up a man and winning 1-0. They squandered it, conceding two second-half goals to the ten-man Red Bulls and losing 2-1.

Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports

The eight-game losing streak might have ended on Wednesday, but the New England Revolution reached new lows on Saturday night at Red Bull Arena. They entered the halftime break winning 1-0 and carrying a man advantage, and yet let the 10-man New York Red Bulls score two second-half goals and suffered a 2-1 defeat in a game they absolutely should have won.

Charlie Davies first Revolution goal - his first competitive goal in years, actually - gave the Revs the lead in the 20th minute. That only held up until Dax McCarty's deft chip in the 47th minute, and then Bradley Wright-Phillips put away the winner with a great far-post curler in the 63rd minute.

New England will be disappointed with the performance of referee Allen Chapman who, despite the red card, repeatedly denied the Revs clear fouls and even gave Davies a yellow for diving when the striker was clearly fouled. However, being up a man with the lead, they have no one to blame for the loss but themselves.

The Revs played well in the first half, enjoying only 37% of the possession but still finding opportunities and looking dangerous. Davies had a clear penalty waved off by Chapman in the 2nd minute, which also earned him a yellow card for simulation that Chapman will likely feel was a mistake after viewing the film. Andrew Farrell almost scored from a flick on in the 4th minute, as well.

Davies goal was the result of good hustle on the break from Teal Bunbury. The winger crossed from the right flank and, after a deflection, it found Davies all alone at the far post, who headed home and celebrated with his traditional "stanky leg" dance.

Matt Miazga saw his marching orders in first-half stoppage time for a brutal tackle on Lee Nguyen. The young defender wanted to slide in on Nguyen and clear, but Lee had already played the pass and though Miazga attempted to pull out of the tackle, he'd committed and left his feet, and he ended up flipping Nguyen head-over-heels with a scary challenge.

The second half was all New York. In the 47th minute, McCarty collected a Kevin Alston clearance just outside the box and delicately chipped over Bobby Shuttleworth to the far post to level the scores. Then, in the 63rd minute, the disadvantaged Red Bulls hit the Revs on the break, as Bradley Wright-Phillips collected a pass from Lloyd Sam and bent one in from the top of the box and off the far post to give the home side the lead.

New England launched a few attacks at the end, but it was to no avail. It wouldn't be biased to say that the Revs' performance probably rates among the worst in team history when playing a man up. Despite ending their historic losing streak on Wednesday, this team really looks no better than the group that lost eight in a row and seemed comically unable to solve even the most rudimentary problems on the pitch.

The Revs are back in action on Saturday, August 16th, in Portland.