clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Dallas 2, New England 0: Revs Attack Stumbles Again in Seventh Straight Loss

It was another loss. Seven in a row. It's very, very depressing.

Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

Despite a roster shake-up that included five new faces to the Revolution starting lineup, Jay Heaps' squad was unable to keep Dallas off the board and unable to find the net themselves, leading to New England's seventh straight loss.

The Revolution came out with good energy and held there own in the early goings. Charlie Davies, making his first start of the season, showed some promising hold-up play at the top of the Revs' 4-1-4-1, a formation they returned to after Saturday's failed 4-4-2 experiment. Scott Caldwell was also a starter and looked determined to make the most of his opportunity to win his job back. The second-year midfielder ended up with 96% passing on the night and made several key interceptions in the middle of the park.

Despite some good looking possession in the first half, New England eventually succumbed to the persistence of Dallas' attackers. It was the Columbian Andres Escobar who finally broke the deadlock. In the 29th minute, Dallas rookie striker Tesho Akindele took a good-looking shot from distance that slammed off the crossbar and fell to the feet of Escobar, who dribbled into the box, shaking off defender Darrius Barnes, and ripped a shot from close range at the near post over the head of Bobby Shuttleworth, who failed to lift his arms up to try to make the save. Dallas was able to see out the half with their lead in tact.

The second half started out with even more of FC Dallas' attacking onslaught, and it was Escobar again who was giving the Revolution backline fits. Paying a quick one-two with Moises Hernandez, the Columbian made space for himself near the top of the box and ripped a shot that looked sure to tuck under the New England crossbar. But Shuttleworth's outstretched hand was able to tip it over the bar for a corner.

In the 56th minute Heaps replaced Teal Bunbury and Charlie Davies with Patrick Mullins and Kelyn Rowe. It was soon thereafter that the Revolution's attack looked like it was finally starting to click. A solid chance came in the 61st minute as a result of some very good movement in the attacking half involving all Revolution midfielders. The ball made its way out to Barnes in space who sent in a low cross that was dummied by Mullins, presumably for Rowe to latch onto, but the ball was cleared out of danger by the home team. Dallas quickly countered and Akindele's distance shot was saved by Shuttleworth.

Shuttleworth would make two more big saves over the next eight minutes or so as New England was forced to absorb Dallas' pressure, which they just managed to survive. In the 70th minute the Revs finally got some possession back as well as a bit of their offensive rhythm. Some short passing sequences set up Mullins with a decent shot, albeit a bit far out from goal, that sailed high over Raul Fernandez' net. Minutes later, Diego Fagundez, Heaps' final substitute, sent a ball into the box that nearly met the feet of Mullins but Fernandez was there to clean it up.

Revolution sustained even more pressure from Dallas as the clock ticked nearer and nearer to 90 minutes. Hernandez, Blas Perez, and Akindele all had their respective shots either miss the target or saved by Shuttleworth. Finally in the 91st minute, with numbers committed forward, the Revs were burned on a Dallas counter attack yet again and Akindele, beating Andrew Farrell one-on-one, blasted his well-taken shot past Shuttleworth to seal the win for the hosts.

Seven in a row is all you really need to know.