The magic of the U.S. Open Cup continues this evening as the New England Revolution take on D.C. United in the District. It's the quarterfinals, the round where teams start to get a real sense that they have a shot at winning the whole thing.
The Revolution have been considerably more dominant in their route to this point, crushing Rochester and then pounding the Red Bulls, outscoring their opponents 9-3. United, on the other hand, barely scraped by Richmond on penalties before putting together a comprehensive performance to defeat Philadelphia 3-1.
REVOLUTION INJURY REPORT
OUT: Kevin Alston (Disabled List, Illness)
QUESTIONABLE: Kalifa Cisse (L Knee Sprain), Juan Toja (Lower Back Tightness)
D.C. UNITED - Current as of 6/21
UNCATEGORIZED: Dejan Jakovic (L Adductor Strain), Lewis Neal (Pubic Stress Reaction), James Riley (L Adductor Strain), Dwayne De Rosario (R Hip Flexor Strain), Chris Pontius (Concussion), Kyle Porter (L Calf Strain), Carlos Ruiz (R Groin Strain), Marcelo Saragosa (R Knee Surgery), Ethan White (L Hip Flexor Strain)
- Wednesday's match will be the fourth meeting between the two teams in the U.S. Open Cup
- New England is 2-1-0 against D.C. in Open Cup play
- New England won the first ever meeting in Open Cup play between the two clubs in 2001, 2-1, in the tournament semifinal
- New England won the last meeting between the two clubs in Open Cup play, a 3-2 win on April 26, 2011 in the MLS play-in round
- The two clubs have met once already this season in MLS action, playing to a 0-0 draw at Gillette Stadium on June 8
- All-time, D.C. leads the MLS regular-season series 23-28-9
- Andy Dorman has three goals and four assists in 15 career games against D.C....Dorman last scored against the Black-and-Red in 2007
- Saer Sene has one goal and one assist in two career appearances against D.C. United...Sene scored when the teams met on May 26, 2012 at RFK
- Stadium and recorded his first career assist on former Rev Jose Moreno's goal in the April 14 meeting at Gillette Stadium
- Kelyn Rowe scored the only goal in the Revs' 2-1 loss at D.C. on Sept. 15, 2012
- Chad Barrett has two goals and one assist against D.C....all of his points came while a member of the Chicago Fire
- Matt Reis is the Revs' all-time leader in games played in goal (27) against United...Reis has a 7-12-6 record with the Revs against D.C., with four shutouts and a 1.54 goals against average
STREAM: The New England Revolution will be hosting a stream on revolutionsoccer.net. We will embed this stream in our usual open thread.