clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Revolution vs. Whitecaps 2013 Halftime Update: Farrell Red Card Sparks Wild 3-2 First Half

The Revolution are down 3-2 to the Whitecaps at BC Place, despite taking a 2-0 lead in the 20th minute. Andrew Farrell's 23rd-minute red card changed the game.


The first half of the match between the New England Revolution and the Vancouver Whitecaps has not lacked for drama and excitement as the home side took a 3-2 lead into the locker rooms at the interval. A 23rd-minute red card to Revolution defender Andrew Farrell turned the match on its head, sparking a three-goal comeback from the Whitecaps.

The Revs were the ascendant side early, and they kicked off the scoring in the 10th minute with a route one surprise. Chris Tierney lofted a cross-field pass from his left-back position over the top to a rushing Juan Agudelo, who beat his man into the box and finished first-time past Brad Knighton to give the visitors the lead.

Kelyn Rowe made it two for the Revs in the 20th minute after some slick interplay. Saer Sene played a pass in to Diego Fagundez, who controlled well before slipping it to his left to Rowe. The midfielder, making his first league start since May 11th, took a touch to get the ball in front of him and then fired a right-footed shot past Knighton to double the visitors' lead.

It all fell apart in the 23rd minute. Kenny Miller got in behind, and with his pace, there was no defender but Andrew Farrell who could track him down. Unfortunately, Miller was goal-side of Farrell, and when the rookie tried to get around him, he clipped Miller's heel and the striker went down. It was obvious the Scottish hitman was looking for the contact, but it was nonetheless a foul and a denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity, and referee Juan Guzman - who, it must be said, is having an atrocious match - had to produce the red card.

Camilo buried the ensuing penalty and the Whitecaps came back to life. Kenny Miller got in behind again with a quick touch that left Stephen McCarthy flat-footed, and his finish from close range beat Bobby Shuttleworth to the far post in the 39th minute. Just four minutes later, Russell Teibert was given far too much space on the flank and played a cross to the far post, where no one had tracked the run of Jordan Harvey. The defender finished easily from close range.

The Revs will try to salvage something from the match in the second half, but they have a heck of a hill to climb.