clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

New England 2, Houston 2: Sene Nets Two, But Same Issues Plague Revs


The Revolution took to the pitch at Gillette Stadium tonight looking for their first victory of the 2012 season against an Eastern Conference opponent. In the end, they settled for a point-undone yet again by poor defending on set pieces and a late goal. Tonight's result brings the Revs to 4-6-1 on the season, with 13 points, tied with Houston (3-3-4) in the standings.

Although the Revs may feel like tonight's draw was more of a loss, there were still positives to take away. "Overall, [I'm] happy with the fight we showed," said Ryan Guy, who was plugged into the center midfield position usually occupied by Clyde Simms who was sidelined with tendonitis in his left ankle. "I think on the whole we did have flashes of how we do play and how we normally play," said Guy, "I think sometimes you just need the ball to bounce your way and it didn't all the way tonight."

The ball bounced mostly the Dynamo's way, in fact, as the Texas side had 62% of possession and had a passing accuracy of 83%. The Revolution, on the other hand, had only 38% of possession and a passing accuracy of 66%. Much of those stats may reflect the absence of Simms, who Jay Heaps pointed to in his post-game press conference as being a significant loss for this game.

"Losing Clyde Simms... is a tough one," said Heaps, "I think that it hurt us in a sense of the comfort level-we never really seemed comfortable with it." That lack of comfort seemed to have been a factor in both of Houston's goals, one in the 32nd minute off a Brad Davis set piece and the second in the 87th minute (from Luiz Camargo) resulting from a defensive lapse by the Revs back-line.

The Revolution, however, did tally two of their own, both by Saer Sene. Sene's first goal of the night was from a penalty that was awarded in the 25th minute after the towering Frenchman was brought down in the box by Brad Davis. His second was a left-footed shot in the 57th minute after Sene dispossessed Houston defender and Attleboro, MA native Geoff Cameron.

After a long stretch of drama and scrappy play from both sides, that second goal almost seemed to be the game-winner in the dwindling minutes of the match. But the Revs coughed up a goal late, yet again, to settle for a point on the night. New England will now travel to the nation's capital to take on their I-95 rivals D.C. United for the second time this season and hope to return to their winning form.