The New England Revolution finish their 2012 season this afternoon against the Montreal Impact in Quebec. The Revs have had no success against the Impact in their inaugural MLS season, currently trailing them 0-2-0 in the season series, with one goal scored and three conceded.
Today's match between the New England Revolution and the Montreal Impact will cap off the regular season for both clubs. It'll be the last chance for anyone to see the Revs as they are now; just as sweeping changes were the order of the day last offseason (and, indeed, this season), we can expect further changes for 2013 as well. At least, we'd better see some changes. Second-to-last in the conference shouldn't indicate to anybody that it's a good time to maintain the status quo.
With a loss, the Revs will see their season series with the Impact totally swept, with an ugly 0-3-0 record against the new club. Honestly, Montreal's had a good expansion year, but they aren't that good. New England needs a result in this match to save some face. Unfortunately, the Revs are also a terrible road team, so the odds aren't in their favor.
REVOLUTION INJURY REPORT
QUESTIONABLE: Clyde Simms (R Quadriceps Strain)
DOUBTFUL: Stephen McCarthy (Concussive-like Symptoms), Juan Toja (Patella Femoral Pain)
OUT: Florian Lechner (R MCL Sprain), Lee Nguyen (R Shoulder Surgery), Saer Sene (L ACL Surgery)
IMPACT INJURY REPORT
IMPACT: Sanna Nyassi (Yellow Card Accumulation)
- Saturday's meeting will be the third-ever meeting between the Revs and the Impact as Montreal holds a 2-0-0 lead in the series that began this season
- The Revs are 0-1-0 at Stade Saputo after falling, 2-1, in the inaugural meeting on July 18, 2012
- In the second meeting between the clubs on Aug. 18, 2012, Montreal defeated New England, 1-0, in the Impact's first visit to Gillette Stadium
- The Revs are 10-11-6 all-time against expansion teams in their inaugural seasons...that record includes two draws with the Houston Dynamo in 2006, which was considered an expansion team after relocating from San Jose
- Since 2005, New England is 9-6-6 against expansion teams in their inaugural seasons...the Revs went 1-5-0 against the Chicago Fire and Miami Fusion in 1998, just two years after MLS' inaugural season
- Lee Nguyen is the only Revolution player to score a goal against Montreal...he had the Revs' lone goal against the Impact on July 18
- Kelyn Rowe recorded the assist on Lee Nguyen's goal on July 18
- In the teams' first meeting on July 18, Darrius Barnes made his first start of 2012, playing center back
- Sainey Nyassi made his first appearance of the year in the July 18 match at Saputo Stadium, playing on the field at the same time as his twin brother, Sanna, who scored the game-winning goal for Montreal
- Matt Reis has started both games in the series and is 0-2-0 with a 1.50 goals against average and three saves
BROADCAST INFORMATION: TV: CSN, 2:00 PM EST; RADIO: 98.5 The Sports Hub, 2:00 PM EST