CARSON, CA - APRIL 30: A.J. Soares #5 of the New England Revolution controls the ball against Chivas USA at The Home Depot Center on April 30, 2011 in Carson, California. Chivas USA won 3-0. (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)
Welcome to the New England Revolution vs. Chivas USA live game thread! Tonight's match features a Revolution squad that could possibly be described as resurgent given their recent string of positive road results. They face a Chivas USA squad that, although inconsistent this season, has had the Revs' number in recent years, including a 3-0 result at the Home Depot Center in April.
The key for the Revolution tonight is going to be to capitalize on their recent momentum and bring it home. New England picked up their first road victory of the year a few weeks ago in DC, and if they can parlay that plus their proceeding road draws into some energy and belief then they might be able to have a positive second-half of the season. That's going to require organization and a better killer instinct; the Revs have struggled with the former, but hopefully the acquisition of DP forward Milton Caraglio will fix issues with the latter.
Here are some game notes:
- Chivas USA has the edge in the all-time, regular-season series between the two clubs, with a record of 6-5-2 ... the teams have met just once outside of regular-season action, playing to a 1-1 draw in the group stage of SuperLiga 2008
- The Revs hold a 4-1-1 advantage in Foxborough against Chivas USA, dropping its only contest - a 4-0 loss - last year on May 5, 2010 ... New England has outscored Chivas USA, 11-6, in those six matches
- Chivas USA defeated the Revolution in their first meeting this season - a 3-0 win at The Home Depot Center on April 30 ... Chivas USA has only one season sweep against the Revolution in series history, winning both games in 2010.
- Before Chivas USA's win at Gillette Stadium in May 2010, New England's 2-1 win at The Home Depot Center on May 11, 2008, marked the only time the visiting team had won in the all-time series
- Eleven of the Revolution's 14 goals against Chivas USA have been scored in the second half, including the last seven overall ... conversely, Chivas USA has scored 10 of their 18 goals against the Revs in the first half
- New England has allowed more than one goal against Chivas USA just five times in 13 regular-season meetings ... the Revs, meanwhile, have scored multiple goals against Chivas USA four times, including three of the last seven meetings
Lineups and your comments after the jump.
Revolution: Reis; Alston, Cochrane, Barnes, Tierney; McCarthy, Joseph, Feilhaber, Schilawski; Caraglio
Bench: Shuttleworth, Boggs, Fagundez, Guy, Loewy, Mansally, Phelan
Chivas USA: Kennedy; Valentin, Umana, Pearce, Jazic; LaBrocca, Elliott, Gavin, Flores; Moreno, Braun
Bench: Thornton, Lahoud, Mendoza, Mondaini, Nagamura, Zemanski, Courtois